Celebrate TCT’s 101st season as it comes to a close as we applaud and appreciate those who contributed to the organization’s magic throughout our century-long journey. During 10 weeks of recognition, we honor individuals who have been instrumental in the success of TCT, and who have not only helped TCT grow in mission, but also thrive, thanks to their passion. It is these people and their moments in our history that shaped TCT to become what it is today. We encourage you to consider giving a gift in their honor to ensure the sustainability of TCT’s mission for the next 100+ years.
Mr. Darrell Miller is the Founding Chair of the Entertainment & Sports Law Department at Fox Rothschild, LLP Attorneys at Law.
He is an Entertainment Attorney, Board Member of the Los Angeles Music Center, and University of Cincinnati Foundation Board Member. Mr. Miller served on the Board of Directors for The Children’s Theatre of Cincinnati from 1996 to 2010.
Mr. Miller says: “Being on the Board of The Children’s Theatre during a period of rapid growth that brought life-changing, professional theatrical productions to a diverse community of young audiences will always be cherished as a transformative experience in my life that formed my commitment to never stop giving back to my hometown Cincinnati community.”
A prominent entertainment lawyer with more than 20 years’ experience in entertainment law, Mr. Miller focuses his practice on transactional law with an emphasis on the motion picture, television, music, theater, and multimedia industries. As a testament to his effective brand-building strategies, Mr. Miller is consistently listed among Hollywood’s top dealmakers by national industry publications such as Variety and The Hollywood Reporter.
As a former singer and performer, Mr. Miller has a deep understanding of the creative talent he represents, as well as the knowledge and savvy of a seasoned entertainment attorney.
Mr. Miller’s clients include diverse and visionary individuals and entities, reflecting his commitment to developing multimedia opportunities within the convergent climate of today’s entertainment industry. His commitment to providing superior personal service has resulted in long-standing relationships with studio executives and creative personnel, representation of actors, writers, directors, and producers associated with a variety of television programs and motion pictures including “NCIS,” “Law & Order,” “Curb Your Enthusiasm,” “Entourage,” “In Plain Sight,” “Flash Forward,” “Friday Night Lights,” “Dancing with the Stars,” “Randy Jackson Presents America’s Best Dance Crew,” Academy Award Winner “Crash,” “RocknRolla,” “Couples Retreat,” “Notorious,” “The Great Debaters,” “Max Payne,” “Jumping The Broom,” “Think Like A Man,” and “Green Lantern.”
Mr. Miller is the former managing partner of the firm’s Los Angeles office.
Before Fox Rothschild, Mr. Miller launched his own private practice in 1996, where he served as production counsel on television, cable, and film projects. The firm expanded to Miller & Pliakas LLP in 2001, in which Mr. Miller was a partner and co-founder. Mr. Miller began his legal career with the national law firm Lord Bissell and Brook, where his practice included litigation and general corporate law, representing domestic and international companies, business executives, entertainment production companies, and performing artists.
Mr. Miller served on the Air Force Entertainment Liaison Board. A jazz and classical music enthusiast, Mr. Miller is a frequent panelist and guest moderator of discussions relating to both the talent and institutional aspects of entertainment law. Mr. Miller’s book, The 16th Minute of Fame: An Insider’s Guide for Maintaining Success Beyond 15 Minutes of Fame, was published in 2014, and subsequently led to Mr. Miller’s nomination for the prestigious NAACP Image Award in the category of Outstanding Literary Work—Debut Author.
Honors & Awards
- Named a “California Trailblazer” by The Recorder (2020)
- Named among the “Top Minority Attorneys in Los Angeles” by the Los Angeles Business Journal (2020)
- Named a Sports & Entertainment Trailblazer by The National Law Journal (2019)
- Named to Variety Magazine’s Legal Impact Report (2014-2021)
- Los Angeles Business Journal’s “Leaders in Law” Award Nominee (2018)
- Recognized by Chambers USA for Media & Entertainment: Transactions – Mainly Talent in California (2018-2020)
- Named to “The Best Lawyers in America” list for Motion Pictures and Television Entertainment Law in California by Best Lawyers (2019-2021)
- Named among the “Most Influential Intellectual Property Attorneys” by the Los Angeles Business Journal (2017)
- Named among the Daily Journal’s Top 100 Lawyers in California (2016, 2019, 2020)
- Named Entertainment Lawyer of the Year by Beverly Hills Bar Association (2016)
- Named among the “Most Influential Minority Lawyers” by the Los Angeles Business Journal (2016)
- Named to Daily Journal’s Top Entertainment Lawyers List (2015)
- Named to Savoy Magazine’s Most Influential Black Lawyers List (2015, 2018)
- Named among the Top 100 Power Lawyers by The Hollywood Reporter (2013, 2016-2020)
- Named to Variety Magazine’s Dealmakers Impact Report (2013-2020)
- Consistently named among the Top 50 Showbiz Players by Black Enterprise Magazine
- Named to the list of “Super Lawyers” for Entertainment & Sports in Southern California (2014-2021)
- Named 2012 Entertainment Attorney of the Year by The National Bar Association
- Recipient of the Black, Cool and Brilliant Award by the Frasernet Power Networking Conference (2012)
- Named among the “Angelenos to Know in Intellectual Property Law” by the Los Angeles Business Journal (2012)
- Recipient of the Service in Entertainment Leadership Award by the Foundation for Second Chances (2011)
- Named to the Black Entertainment & Sports Lawyers Association Hall of Fame (2007)
Would you honor Darrell Miller with a gift to recognize the impact made on TCT?